- Stage 0: This is the pre-cancerous stage, where the tumour is within the duct, and the walls of the duct do not allow the tumour to spread. The astonishing fact about stage 0 is that it may even last for 8 years before turning malignant or harmful. This stage can be detected with mammogram and ultrasound.
- Stage 1: The tumour size in this stage is less than 2 cms.
- Stage 2a: The tumour size in more than 2 cms but less than 5 cms.
- Stage 2b: The tumour in this stage involves the axillary node.
- Stage 3: This is an advanced breast cancer stage, where the tumour is greater than 5 cms and involves multiple axillary lymph nodes, stuck together to form a mass.
- Stage 4: This is the last stage where the tumour spreads to the rest of the body such as lungs, liver, bones, etc.
It is therefore essential to diagnose breast cancer in stage 0 or 1, so that it can be completely cured and the woman can lead a normal, fruitful life.